Do you want to make the Google photo app your default image or gallery app on your android device?
If yes, it means you don’t care for the gallery app on your android, especially for Samsung phone users.
You want to access all your media files from the Google photo app, which is good as you get to back up most of your media, it is highly unlikely you ever lose a media file even if you change your phone.
In this guide, you will learn how to make Google photos your default app on your android just by following a few simple steps.
Here’s How to Make Google Photos the Default Media App on Android Phones
To do this you need to have your phone ready, note that it is unlikely that this method will work on newer versions of Samsung phones.
However, it can work on other brands of android phones.
1. Open the “Settings” app on your phone and search for “Default Apps”
2. Once you are on the “Default Apps” page, tap on “Set as default”
3. Scroll to find the previous media or gallery app if any and tap on it, followed by tapping on “Clear defaults”. Doing this will clear any previous settings that have made your Gallery app a default app for media.
4. Now, go to the Google Play Store and install the Google photos if you haven’t already, launch it, and sign in with your preferred email address.
5. Finally, head to your browser app and search up any photo, download it and view it, you will be asked if you want to open it with your original Gallery app if any, or your Google photos app.
Pick to view with the Google photos app and at the same time tap on “Always” and that’s it.
One of the perks of using Google photos as your default Gallery app is that you will not lose any media stored there as long you have backed them up to your email even if you decide to change phones or change from Android to ios.
This is not to say that the follow-come Gallery app doesn’t backup media files, it does especially for newer versions of Samsung phones.
Google photos is more hassle-free when it comes to backing up media files and makes it easy to transfer to any kind of device, unlike most Gallery app that is limited to the same kind of phone brands.